It is currently Fri May 14, 2021 10:29 pm

Post subject: Musings from a trial player.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:17 pm 

Hello everyone.
My name is Mattimao and I have been gaming a long time.
I was very interested in checking out Ex-Illis so when the trial came out I was happy to try it out.
My first thought was " Are they nuts? "
You see, I am a huge mini painter and terrain builder. Have been for over 20 years. I have a whole room in my house that is just for gaming and hundreds of minis in display cases.
SO- The idea of what Ez-Illis was seemed very scary to me.
I have watched as in the past years the number of mini gaming players has gone to almost nothing in my area. Most of them have gone over to only computer gaming.
(please no flaming about what I say next)
The advent of computer gaming is one of the main factors behind the demise of most gaming stores.
I AM a computer gamer also, BUT I do not game against other people on the computer. If I am going to play another person, I want to be in the same room with them.
So... You see why Ex-Illis was a scary concept to me.

Then... I played the trial of Ex-Illis...I looked with more detail at the minis...I started reading the Wiki... I got very excited about this new concept in gaming!

Like any good gamer, I have to ask myself questions about any new game.The questions are pretty simple-

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Musings from a trial player.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:31 pm 

Continued :)

Questions I ask-
Do I really enjoy the game? yes
How much work is involved to put together ,paint ect.? Lots
How much does it cost? Good value. ( exception- Banneret $20? )
Would my friends play it? I think so.
SO...
What is stopping me from taking the dive into the Ex-Illis pool?
Several things.
1. You have to have an online connection.
2. Your friends have to have an online connection.
3. The amount of work that the "video game" gamers would have to put into thier minis.
4. The amount of room at my FLGS is already limited. Now I need room for a laptop?
5.The Arcane Legions similarity. This may seem weird unless you have kept up with what happened with AL. The players at my FLGS feel they got burned. In many ways you can draw a lot of real good comparisions between EX-Illis and Arcane Legions.

All of the above being said,
I really like the way Ex-Illis plays, the minis are great, and I intend to continue enjoying my trial and have already entroduced the game to one of the FLGS players.

If I am able to really get into the game remains to be seen.

Thank you for your time and for listening to my thoughts.
Play Well
- Mattimao

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:36 pm 

A1 & 2)I phone and I pad downloads are their, i think their might be a standard mobile one i heard that mentioned some where, you only need to have the net to log in and update musters, once you two are logged in you can play as long as you like offline. Go to your local mcky DS they often have Wifi, go to lunch , eat some fast food, log in , go have a game. Ex illis is as they say wargaming 2.0 do not expect gaming clubs to have Net conections all over the place you can use because this is new.

A3) they can pay some to do it ? or learn a new skill... oh wait most video gamers a lazy slackers:P i should i know i am one, yet i still have the drive to paint more then play games, when i am in the mood, this is a mini's game that uses software, not a video game that uses minis ;) difference.

A4) make space? not really an issue. Read above

A5) lots of mini games have the same feel, ex illis also shares some with video games, since it is a mix between the two.

C.williams

Game is addicting does not help when you have smart buggin you to buy the starter set.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:39 pm 
I could not be a traitor to Edward, for I was never his subject.

Mattimao wrote:
Continued :)

Questions I ask-
Do I really enjoy the game? yes
How much work is involved to put together ,paint ect.? Lots
How much does it cost? Good value. ( exception- Banneret $20? )
Would my friends play it? I think so.
SO...
Several things.

Not to play, you can muster at home, and login the users at home too.

Mattimao wrote:

At their home at least, or they can play from anywhere with an internet connection (setup & all), including from their friend. But, as time goes, there's less and less place without internet connections :)

Mattimao wrote:
3. The amount of work that the "video game" gamers would have to put into thier minis.

Same as with any other miniature wargame ;)

Mattimao wrote:
4. The amount of room at my FLGS is already limited. Now I need room for a laptop?

Or use an ipad or something like this (netbook, windows 7 tablet, whichever you have in your hand).

Mattimao wrote:
5.The Arcane Legions similarity. This may seem weird unless you have kept up with what happened with AL. The players at my FLGS feel they got burned. In many ways you can draw a lot of real good comparisions between EX-Illis and Arcane Legions.

I personnaly don't know what happened with Arcane Legions, so I can't comment on that one :(

Mattimao wrote:
All of the above being said,
I really like the way Ex-Illis plays, the minis are great, and I intend to continue enjoying my trial and have already entroduced the game to one of the FLGS players.

If I am able to really get into the game remains to be seen.

Thank you for your time and for listening to my thoughts.
Play Well
- Mattimao

Hope you'll have fun, wheter you chose to join in or find another game that suits you best :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:55 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Hey thanks for the fresh perspective. A lot of us on here have been playing for about a year and a half now and have lost sight of what the new players experience. I wanted to offer my comments on the detractors you mentioned

Mattimao wrote:

This is a concern that has been voiced a lot. However the advantages of web based tools seem to outweigh the "con" of needing internet access. The internet allows you to: level your units, customize and spec them, gain loot and items from battles you play, update the rules with patches virtually seemlessly, easily and quickly create army lists etc. The simple truth is most people have the internet now a days, so it really is not that much of a hassle. FYI - you do not need a net connection while playing

Mattimao wrote:

Agreed. I like that their vision was a hobby game (I'm a hobby gamer), but I think Bastion would do well to initiate a joint venture with a company like painted figs.

Mattimao wrote:
Standard ex illis games take place on a board roughly the half the size of a game of 40k or warhammer. There is plenty of room left for a laptop. expecially since you don't have to make room for codexes, rulebooks, faq sheets tokens etc. If there is still a spacial cruch, the ipod touch runs the game well for about the same price it would cost you to get the reference books, plus you have an mp4 player :) [/quote]
Mattimao wrote:

Not familiar with what happened to AL. I know they had a strong presence at GC in 2009 and almost disappeared this past year. Other than both storylines originating from mysterious fog and using minis, that is where I see the simililarities end. With all due respect, a completely unrelated game failing to take off is a poor reason to not give a new game a try.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:30 pm 

I can tell you right now that Ex Illis is no Arcane legions.

Bastion's staff have already worked far harder to create a solid and successful game and are always working on new things and expanding the horizons of Ex Illis. This is a game that despite being small is going to have a lot of staying power. The community here should be proof enough.

A game with a dedicated company, and a dedicated fanbase, isn't going anywhere.

As a hardcore minis gamer and a hardcore computer gamer, I can tell you this game has serious meat, and a serious backbone. Its not a computer game, it just has a computer rulebook so to speak. It allows for new players to play intuitively, and for skilled players to play in depth all at once. It has more immediate appeal to novices than most of the other minis games out there.

Give Ex Illis a shot. Try to get it going. If you decide you don't like it, or if Bastion's headquarters is firebombed by terrorists who hate gaming, at the end of the day you'll have a collection of nice minis you can use for whatever the hell else anyway.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:51 pm 

Wow! Some great replies. Thank you.

Questions-
If my friend and I log in the Ex-Illis program and then we disconnect from the internet, how many games will the program keep us logged in?
Can we log in at our FLGS and then play off and on thru the week and then upload all the games we played the next time we connect online?
Also- you do have to be online to work on your musters right?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:59 pm 
Lead Spammer / Spammeur en chef

Quote:
If my friend and I log in the Ex-Illis program and then we disconnect from the internet, how many games will the program keep us logged in?

honestly, a lot. i don't think theres a max, but it will just take time to upload ;)

Quote:
Can we log in at our FLGS and then play off and on thru the week and then upload all the games we played the next time we connect online?

yup, no problem.

Quote:

yup. you do your musters online, download them online and thats all.

Part du principe que j'ai toujours raison, tu gagneras du temps
Life is a game, play it your way

http://ex-illis.com/wikipl/Category:Cadwe

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:09 pm 

I can tell you this much, I originally saw this game when it first came out and was not much there so I walked away, came back last week and it is much much better than Arcane Legions, I had a bunch of arcane legions minis and never did a thing with them, they all went in the trash. Their minis were not that great and the scale really sucked on them. Plus what little I read of the rules they sent me, the rules were too complicated for me. That and they sent out too much free stuff, I got a whole box of minis for free cuz I agreed to do demos. The game itself still seems to be going though.

Bastion is much better off, better minis, more complicated rules but doesn't matter cuz the computer does all the work for you.

My laptop takes up a lot less space than all my rulebooks for any other minis games.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:18 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Mattimao wrote:
Wow! Some great replies. Thank you.

Questions-

Wallace can correct me if I'm wrong, but all games played are updated on one battle report xml file, so its prett much unlimited

Mattimao wrote:

It would be tough to do so offline. The rules (stats) are updated (tweaked for balance) regularly. Also there is the issue of leveled and spec'd units, items, faction special rules etc.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:27 pm 

This keeps looking better! ;)
I will have more questions later. Thanks everyone! :D

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:33 pm 

The file should not go much further than 200mb, else we might have trouble parsing it, and perhpas you'd need to send it to us directly (after compressing it!).

In general, you can play a lot of games :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:43 am 

Here is a question-
My wife is quite the gamer and would love to play this style of miini game.
Is the following possible?
Get a starter. Set my wife up as my BIA .
Split the starter and play against my wife at home.
Let both our armies gain levels.
Build the armies up!

So.. Would it work? :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:47 am 

Actually, yes. When you activate a starter, it will give you the option to activate only half of it. There are actually two mini armies in the box. This means that you don't even have to be brothers in arms to get started.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:52 am 

Wow! So the starter is set up so you can split it? That was a smart idea. I do not know how I missed reading about that fact. :?:

Now on to another question. Why is it that you can get a hero with some other units for just a little more than the box that has the Baneret? I guess I just do not understand why it costs so much. It can not just be because he is a hero. Just looking for answers to questions I know my friends will ask. ;)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:35 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Mattimao wrote:
Wow! So the starter is set up so you can split it? That was a smart idea. I do not know how I missed reading about that fact. :?:

Now on to another question. Why is it that you can get a hero with some other units for just a little more than the box that has the Baneret? I guess I just do not understand why it costs so much. It can not just be because he is a hero. Just looking for answers to questions I know my friends will ask. ;)

The sprues for the starter set have been split up into individual boxed sets. Because the fixed cost is spread over the starter, integral and reinforcement sets, those particular boxes present an extremely good value.

Because the baneret is a plastic hero he suffers from the fixed cost that goes along with making plastic figs. The amount of plastic you get is comparable to the amount of plastic in a mendicum boxed set, but unfortunately only yeilds 2 playable figs.

Bastion has received a lot of backlash from this. It will be interesting to see how they handle hero figures in the future. Whether it be metal blisters, overpriced plastic kits, or stuffing the hero in with a retinue. We should find out soon with the demon hero lurking on the horizon.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:02 pm 

Thanks for the answer. I can see the reasoning behind it.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:02 pm 

Demon hero ?! Please yes!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:20 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Toqtamish wrote:
Demon hero ?! Please yes!

This has been all but confirmed. Thus far as evidence I have the three new factions shown on the wiki, plus an interview where Fred said there should be 37 factions (currently 32) by the end of the year.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:29 pm 

Which are the 3 new factions that point to a demon hero ?

nm I found them I think, missed those in my wiki file too, they didn't show on the factions page. Had to do a manual search for the keyword Demon.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:53 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Mammon
Asmodai
Baalzebub

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:09 pm 

Yeah I found each of the factions when I searched for Demon, Mammonists, Baalite and Incubi. Even updated my sig. pic. Hopefully we will also see a new Demon unit.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:33 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

P.S. I think Leviathan and Satan are the other two based on some images we saw floating around on the wiki a few months back.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:16 pm 

Leviathan should be cool. I still find it odd the separation of Satan and Lucifer.

I do have a question though as a trial player, I have been fiddling with building army lists. Can I use the same hero in one muster and then another muster but he be a different faction in each or is faction tied to the character at all times ? My guess is all times but wanted to check.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:30 pm 

The faction is tied to the character, switching his faction will affect every muster he's in.

OfflineProfile