It is currently Sun May 16, 2021 2:47 am

Post subject: Secondary outcomes and formations
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:46 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Génies nobles de gamer,

I'm not sure if this is in the current system ? or being considered for future releases?, but in several of my rule sets there are secondary outcomes beyond casualties, for example: pushing the unit back, or the Calvary charge driving through a foot unit and engaging the unit behind it, like Alexander's the great's, famous charge and battle

It could be as simple as a text statement of the secondary outcome printed with the casualty report, along with a descriptive statement of the outcome;

As far as input, prior to the game the player can assign the special attack and its outcome from a drop-down menu and that there would allow one extra attack icon to be placed with that unit. This way each unit could have an unique attack and outcome that when deployed at the right round would execute a strategic battle plan, like that of the generals of legend.

Beyond the initial deployment and combat melee successful, generals of renown had a battle plan with secondary contingencies if then, that positioned themselves and the enemy like chess to make a favorable outcome. Historically even using weaker troop types knowing they would flee and be pursued as a means to counter flank with fresh units.

:idea: It would be pure genius if you could design a an option where advanced troop types had the ability to look like they're routing, to force enemy units in a disorganized pursuit only to find themselves counter flank in an ambush.

:idea: :idea: With software one could also have the option of placing secretly a unit in covered terrain without placing the miniatures on the board then for example: on turn three :o the unit would show off on the board and you would place the models on the board.

The possibilities of having a true war simulation something I have a longing for 35 years can be made possible Par des ces compagnie brillante des gamers consacrés,

pardon the French I'm excited :lol: :lol:

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Secondary outcomes and formations
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:06 pm 
Stupor Mundi

Interesting ideas! Good news: Ex illis is an 'action-based' game (much of the gameplay is based on the various actions presented to the player at a given moment) rather than just 'move/wait/shoot' and we already have a lot of the tactics you name in the game. ;)

For example: Hobelars and Franc Chevalers (with proper trainning) can perform various forms of false-retreat, hit-and-run and counter-charges. Some actions are easy and straightforward while others are more difficult to pull off and need the tactical planning of a more experience player to pull off properly (like, say, a false-retreat which can turn into a rout if not set up properly). Scouts will definitely be in the game too at some later date.

For the note, we're big fans of military history and study extensively the battles, equipment, tactics and troop types of the era to bring the best gaming experience possible. It is, for lack of better term, the starting point of all our designs. My personal collection of medieval military history books was built over the years, and Bastion gave me the personal justification to double it over night. :mrgreen:

Lucky me! :lol:

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Secondary outcomes and formations
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:28 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Sounds so exciting is there a way for a good general to know what his troops actually can do can I review the nuts and bolts of the internal options that take place? Is there a way to get a detailed battle report that let's me know what to place behind the scenes?

OfflineProfile