It is currently Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:02 pm

Post subject: Miniatures Expansions questions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:43 am 

Hi, is I'n considering getting into Ex Illis and would appreciate knowing if theres a way to find out the stats and abilities for the miniatures in the various expansions before actually buying them? If not how can you know which ones you want to add to your army?

Also, when you do buy an expansion, is it possible to split the miniatures in the pack with a friend so that both players can use some of them in their armies, or do packs come with a code that means only one player can use the contents of the pack?

Darryl

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Miniatures Expansions questions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:35 am 

Only the starter set can be split up. But if you had a friend set as your Brother in Arms you could give him one of the units that way after activating them on your account.

All of the stats for the units and heroes are contained in the wiki linked at the top of all pages.

http://ex-illis.com/wikien/Units_and_Heroes

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:50 am 

Great, thanks!

Darryl

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:08 am 

You could always access the free Trial, which allows you to play about with a few things before buying. :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:30 am 

Hi, I gather then that the the trial you can play just on the computer. That leads to a question. Once you buy the game, if there are times when you can't set up the physical game (table being used for other things at the time for example), is it still possible to play just on the computer with all the miniatures you've registered? If so that could also be nice as a way to still be able to play games when you're on a trip.

Darryl

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:13 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

darrylr wrote:
Hi, I gather then that the the trial you can play just on the computer. That leads to a question. Once you buy the game, if there are times when you can't set up the physical game (table being used for other things at the time for example), is it still possible to play just on the computer with all the miniatures you've registered? If so that could also be nice as a way to still be able to play games when you're on a trip.

Darryl

the computer rules are designed to work with the miniatures, but I have had to pack up my miniatures and so I made a set of tokens and a small board so that I can still play the exiilis game. You need the physical positioning of the pieces to be able to properly move. And really the game without the miniatures is just not the same thing. But yes you can play that way and I've often had to play without the miniatures because of my circumstance.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:14 am 

darrylr wrote:

Darryl

Yes and no.

Yes you can play the game with out the miniatures, just like you can play a standard miniatures game, with out the models. Though that takes longer. The thing is, that when playing Ex illis, if you are not looking at the board, and your models, looking at flank routes, and safe paths to avoid enemy fire, it becomes much harder, and really stops being Ex illis.
Though many of us have sat there boosting our units levels up. But other all with out the board, it becomes very old very quickly, and becomes often very hard to keep track of what is what, and where. Though you can still do it. Ex illis does a good job, not the best, but a good job of making it so the miniatures are important to the game.

Yes i believe the trial can only be played on P.c, but if you are sitting down anyway you would be going through unit stats, there skills, naming them, customising them, ect ect. It's gonna take many hours of learning your units, before you can sit at the screen in battle and know what each unit can really do in battle.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:18 am 
I could not be a traitor to Edward, for I was never his subject.

The units trials offer downloadable PDFs which, when printed, cut and assembled, represent the unit. This should be used and played on a table as to have the closest experience possible.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:19 am 

William Wallace wrote:
The units trials offer downloadable PDFs which, when printed, cut and assembled, represent the unit. This should be used and played on a table as to have the closest experience possible.

or use a Coke can and cookies, that way when the units die! you just eat them!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:08 pm 

lol I like that idea Williams.

The pdf of the minis work really good to, it was what I used when I was first learning the game and showing friends it.

Darrylr I would setup a trial account and play from there. You don't need to have the minis or the pdfs and you can play just on the computer, I have done that some times when unable to set stuff up, but you really lose out a lot of the game and it makes it hard to keep track of who is where. So yes you can but really you should use some kind of minis even if just the paper ones that you can download.

Some of us have even played over Skype, I played Cadwe over skype once and we both set up the board on our own tables and played even though we are literally an ocean apart. He is in France and I am in Canada.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:14 pm 

I've made my own paper unit icons when I played the trial last year.
I still use them for my unassembled units, for quick games and on holidays.

I had a lot of fun drawing them, they all have a diferend pose.
Here's a picture before someone asks: :P

Lord Ok

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:19 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

nice work !!!!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:35 pm 
Instigator of the Crozada Coeli

I like that ;)