It is currently Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:00 pm

Post subject: Questions about the game
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:14 am 

When Exillis was released I had the chance to meet one of the staff and see a demo game. While the game was interesting the common concerns everyone has come up with I had myself. At which point I wrote the game off as a great idea but to different. Later when I heard the game had lost its investers I thought the game and company as gone.

I realize that I sound like a doomsayer here but I think my view is very common when it comes to Exillis. Also I would like to say that I was very happy to hear the game has garnered a new invester. This game would be perfect game to introduce my son to war gaming but I would like to ask a few questions before I make the plunge.

1. As I mentioned I would mainly be looking to play this game with my son. Buying all the miniatures for our game I have zero issue with but having to buy miniatures for two accounts and having them locked is not ok. I have reathenceit about being able to swap units between individuals but haven't found firm information on this others thenu there was a 6 month wait per move. Is there alternatives to this or can you link two accounts or something?

2. I noticed on these boards some people are selling miniatures, how safe is it to buy miniatures from someone if they are locked to the account.

3. Heard there might be paper rules in the future is this true?

4. If the company goes under 100% is there anything that will allow us to continue to play without the servers? Saying the servers are paid for for X number of years isn't a real answe to this question.

5. Any thoughts of allowing player made units in the future? I'm sure a system could be built into the software to keep the units balanced they also would not be allowed in tourenments and such. I'm sure people would even be willing to pay 5 bucks to design a unit and have it managed by the software.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Questions about the game
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:32 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

1) Yes u can link 2 accounts and swap units

2) pm william wallace for that answer

3)thats a semi confirmed rumor. Devs are kicking the idea around

4) servers are paid for until 2020. Beyond that...

5) would be difficult from the software side

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:51 am 
I could not be a traitor to Edward, for I was never his subject.

1) Changing the account to which you are linked is limited to once every 6 months, so that the burden of fixing accounts up if you were trading all around is not too high (and people complaining from stolen units). Even with this limit, it still happened. Once linked with someone, you can exchange units as you see fit, but you will have to fix your musters (ie, they won't be added back automatically if sent back to you).

When needed, I can manually reset the timer for the link upon receiving a request.

2) It's relatively safe, you can contact me previous to the transaction so I can make the required verification if you feel it's not safe.

3) Lots of work was being done by Bonifacius, but then it was not well received so he kind of left it in that state for a while until some people on the forum started to see the potential and that kicked him back in production. No ETA on this.

4) As said before, servers are paid for a while. Cost to keep them live is low, so I am not worried that we could find a way to poll some money past the point where they are currently paid.

5) It's already something you can be toying with as modding an existing unit. Adding another unit is a much bigger undertaking, but steps could be provided if some people wants to do so :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:57 am 

1. The game can be played on one account, but you can only play practice games which don't level up your units.
Two accounts can be set as "Brother in arms", this allows you to switch units between the two accounts whenever you like. You can assign a new Brother in arms once every 6 months.

2. Second hand miniatures are not a problem. You can have them transferred by Bastion Studios.

3. Bastion staff have told us they are working on paper rules. When these will be released is still unclear.

4. The game is played off-line, army building and managing your miniatures happens on the web page. When the servers go down, (not until 2020) you can still play with the armylist saved on your device.

5. This is highly unlikely as programming, animating and play-testing is demanding most of their resources. WYSIWYG is less important with Ex Illis, so you can convert your miniatures al you want.(just post pictures)
All ideas on these forums will inspire the bastion team, player suggestions have been incorporated in the game before.

I would suggest you to make an account and activate the 30 day trial. See how the game and on-line part works. ;)

Lord Ok

edit: oh no! ninja'd by William Wallace. :cry:

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Interested in game but have concerns
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:28 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

take the plunge I can guarantee you won't regret it

1. As I mentioned I would mainly be looking to play this game with my son. Buying all the miniatures for our game I have zero issue with but having to buy miniatures for two accounts and having them locked is not ok. I have read a bit about being able to swap units between individuals but haven't found firm information on this others then there was a 6 month wait per move. Is there alternatives to this or can you link two accounts or something?

there is an option to become brother in arms, where you can easily transfer units between the two accounts. My son and I are brothers in arms he has the evil Army and I have the good Army, he also has the British Army, and I have a Scottish army. By having two accounts you can also gain battle points every time you battle, that allows you units to raise up in levels and you can collect gold to buy items for your units.

2. I noticed on these boards some people are selling miniatures, how safe is it to buy miniatures from someone if they are locked to the account.

it wouldn't hurt before purchasing from a private individual to send a private message to William Wallace to make sure the account can be transferred without any problem, I purchased several sets from other people and had no problems.

3. Heard there might be paper rules in the future is this true?

one of the game designers started working on a paper rule version, I'm still not clear of all the reasoning and if the project will continue.

4. If the company goes under 100% is there anything that will allow us to continue to play without the servers? Saying the servers are paid for for X number of years isn't a real answe to this question.

the servers are paid up to function for many many years I think they said 20 years but I can't remember the exact number. And once you have leveled up all your units and acquired the items you want you really don't need the servers anyway. What you do is create a bunch of musters in your account for all the strategic variations you want for your war band, then downloaded to your computer. I once played for four month period of time without Internet access. As once all the data is downloaded into your computer you can play game after game. The only time you need the server is when you change your musters or to upload the battle points from the game to your account.so if the servers went down I will be playing Exillis for many years to come.

5. Any thoughts of allowing player made units in the future? I'm sure a system could be built into the software to keep the units balanced they also would not be allowed in tourenments and such. I'm sure people would even be willing to pay 5 bucks to design a unit and have it managed by the software.

that feature really is already in the game, there are several faction choices that your leader can be, each one with its own unique characteristics, then there are skill trees that you can take three different pathways on, making your character have more aggressive or defensive or unique characteristics and skills. Then you have the economic system where you can customize their stats with items. so you can make pretty custom characters and units. I do a lot of kit bashing GW Lord of the rings is in the same scale so I customize my models to look like the Army on building, and then within the software I customize units to fight on the battlefield accordingly.

But remember this is a miniatures company that is selling miniatures, and giving you ( I believe one of their big mistakes) all the computer moderated set, and dozens and dozens of updates and again began all for free. To create a way to make custom unit without buying a model would further self-destruct the company. But there have been talks about future releases having much more customizable options. Currently several of the units when you first register them they can go in two different directions. Like the Angels Evocita and fallen Angels Nephilm.

lastly there is a great source of information in the wiki link if you have not found yet

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:21 pm 

When you transfer brother in arms do units reset, maintain their individual xp or an xp is is saved to the profile so if the unit goes back it gets the old xp.

Also can you reset the way you level up a unit to try to play it differently or they stuck as is once you level them

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:03 pm 

Transferred units keeps their ability, but they can't bring any equipement from the original owner to the other account. Units abilities can be reset, and depending on how often you do, the cost will be free to very high.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:44 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

wyldwabyt wrote:
When you transfer brother in arms do units reset, maintain their individual xp or an xp is is saved to the profile so if the unit goes back it gets the old xp.

Also can you reset the way you level up a unit to try to play it differently or they stuck as is once you level them

once you have an account there is an tab that says estate, this is where you can train your troops, raise them up beyond their normal levels, go on treasure hunts, change the faction of a leader, store your equipment, forge new equipment, gamble on equipment, and some others things as well. Each one can be upgraded to do more things or to cost less. But these are all driven by your battle points that turn into gold to purchase things, which means you have to play lots of games to earn battle points, the more units that are in the battle the more points you get per battle, loser and winner get the same amount of points,( although I think the winner should get a bonus) so if you play a game you can get anywhere from 1 to 10 battle points depending upon how many units are in the battle. But let's say you get 10 battle points that applies to every unit. so since I have a very large collection 10 points times the 78 units I have I can accrue points/gold faster. so it really helps to have larger armies.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:29 pm 

First I just want to say thanks, the community here is very supportive and that is very encouraging.

So I understand that equipment does not transfer account but is it store then for use later. Also is equipent specific to a unit or can be moved around.

Also regarding the board is it pretty solid? Someone had mentioned on another forum that there where some misalignments with the board. I was thinking of getting the gw one but if this is a good playing surface two starter sets that have the terrain also are cheaper then just the gw board. My desires are that this board be used for all my mini gaming

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:46 pm 

I find the board sturdy enough, but I might be biaised ;) The equipment is not 'attached' to the specific unit, and depending on the muster it can be on different ones, explaining why it's not following the unit when you are sending it away. You are free to assign a specific equipment for a unit, if you wish (as people make the conversion on their units), use only part of it, or use it on another one.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:48 pm 

wyldwabyt wrote:
First I just want to say thanks, the community here is very supportive and that is very encouraging.

So I understand that equipment does not transfer account but is it store then for use later. Also is equipent specific to a unit or can be moved around.

Also regarding the board is it pretty solid? Someone had mentioned on another forum that there where some misalignments with the board. I was thinking of getting the gw one but if this is a good playing surface two starter sets that have the terrain also are cheaper then just the gw board. My desires are that this board be used for all my mini gaming

You can drop it, throw it, have a cat walk over it, if its all glued together, you can most likely walk on it, if you do not weigh more then 150lbs. It will hold up and last along time, but you would want to protect it if you paint it.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:59 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

wyldwabyt wrote:

Not a pro in GW but for what i've seen, the Exillis board is better quality for cheaper cost. Never heard about misalignment complaint though. Each time I've seen someone used it, all went well. Just be carefull with the corners when disassembling, the plastic is sturdy but not indestructible.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:52 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

and remember the board must be in squares,for you to know where you are in the game. The Exillis board is 9'' x 9'', so whatever you use has to be in squares so that you can track the movement. I've made a several 9 by 9 boards with different terrain pieces,that I use with the two Exillis boards that I purchased. But as soon as as I can find a place where I can keep my gaming stuff out I'm going to make a large sand table so that you can change the size of the squares depending upon how many squares deep I want to play. for impassable terrain you actually don't need a 9 x 9 square and there are all sorts of other tricks Ahh but I have to go to dinner

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:11 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

If you're interested in painting them, THIS could interest you. Don't worry, the square was'nt assembled, just lay on the table waiting for assembly, by the time of the photo (cause the misalignment impression).

OfflineProfile