It is currently Sun May 16, 2021 1:56 am

Post subject: State of Ex Illis
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:24 am 

Hi, I'm interested in Ex Illis but am unsure whether to jump in. Given that the game depends on the company contining to support the software and operate it's website I'm wondering whta the long term outlook for the game and company are? I see from some of the history that they almost went out of business earlier this year. Do any of you players have any insight on this question based on your experience playing and interacting with the company and here on the forum? Thanks for any thoughts.

Darryl

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: State of Ex Illis
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:38 am 

Right now things are at a stand still. Since January we have gotten two new units, Daemon Legionari and Berserkr. And two new heroes, William Wallace and Lucifer. The servers are paid for up to 2020 so no danger of the game going offline and being unusable. The members of the company are very good at posting and replying to messages and very open about things. Right now the game needs time to build up again so that new things can get going.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:49 am 

Hi, thanks for your answer. Has the company said anything about what happens after 2020 if they're out of business by then? I'm sure they'd try to sell rights to the game to another company, but if they can't I'm wondering if they've expressed a willingness to open source the game's software so players could give it continuing life?

Darryl

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:16 am 

Would be to soon to ask. Anything can happen between now and then.
The company is not dead.
Just sleeping.

and really Exillis can offer unlimited fun, just ask yosef the most fanatical of us all :D
How many starter sets are you up to now ?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:34 am 

Thanks. And that's a good question: how many starters are some of you up to now. :)

Darryl

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:35 am 

darrylr wrote:
Thanks. And that's a good question: how many starters are some of you up to now. :)

Darryl

Last time i check Yosef has about Ten. Though i think he has added to it....

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:04 pm 

I have 1.5 myself, split the second one with a friend who also now has 1.5.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:41 pm 

You can find a lot of answered questions in this topic.

I have 3 starters myself.
I thought I had a small collection. :) Although it's divided over my two accounts.

I think having serjants in your army does make the game more balanced. So half a starter and a unit of serjants is a good starting point for a new player.

Lord Ok

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:36 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Lord Ok wrote:
You can find a lot of answered questions in this topic.

I have 3 starters myself.
I thought I had a small collection. :) Although it's divided over my two accounts.

I think having serjants in your army does make the game more balanced. So half a starter and a unit of serjants is a good starting point for a new player.

Lord Ok

I would agree that with a few units of Spearman swordsmen even a half of a starter with the sufficient to have many hours of fun and some decent strategy. if you want to build a good winning arming two units of Spearman and two units of swordsmen makes an amazing core holding element from which you can use your other units to support and win the game with.

There is no need to have as many starters as I have from the game standpoint, I just like building custom armies and converting models thus I have 10+ starters and several units Of each because I like the challenge of converting a model to look different and building custom armies. (I used to have every Warhammer army for the same reason)the craftsman painter part of this hobby really brings me joy.

But from the game point of view the ideal situation is to you had three units, each with a different skill tree path for each unit then you would be able to field an Army specific to the objectives of the game.

but having said that I also like to play games where you just have one or two unit types against a more balanced Army, my monster Mash with 10 units of soffrances and two emissaries makes one scary battlefield.

so when you have a lot of units you can do both fun and crazy things

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:41 pm 

Hi and thanks. Is it correct then that to be able to filed 3 units of a given kind you need 3 starters?

Darryl

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:43 pm 
I could not be a traitor to Edward, for I was never his subject.

No; if you like very much a specific unit (be it mangonel, mendicums, whichever), you can buy as many of them as you'd like. For starter units, they are also available as booster packs allowing you to get only those you want.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:00 pm 

William Wallace wrote:
No; if you like very much a specific unit (be it mangonel, mendicums, whichever), you can buy as many of them as you'd like. For starter units, they are also available as booster packs allowing you to get only those you want.

Except for the Vileins and Arbalestiers which can only be found in the starter sets. (hint hint ;) :lol: )

I have 1.5 starters myself but am thinking about getting another one.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:12 pm 

Well, thing is, we never produced the box for that unit :)

If you are interested in buying Vileins & Arbas, send me a PM and I can send you manually packaged units with code for a discount equivalent to the box price :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:18 pm 

:shock: Thats good to know. When I have some money i will be taking you up on that. I have just bought 2 x Archangels, 2 x Serjants and a box of Mangonel.....
So it maybe after Christmas :lol:

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:37 pm 

William Wallace wrote:
Well, thing is, we never produced the box for that unit :)

If you are interested in buying Vileins & Arbas, send me a PM and I can send you manually packaged units with code for a discount equivalent to the box price :)

How much would it cost to make said box ? and have a good sized number shipped over, to where ever Ex illis HQ is?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:54 pm 

The production run would be at around 7000$ for the box and for the included pamphlets run (from what I remember), and then there's the time required to fill them up. Lower quantity won't reduce the costs much, as it's the printer setups that are the biggest part of the costs.

That's why I would rather send 'unpackaged' units :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:59 pm 

Hi, the above answers lead to a couple more questions...

1. How much would it cost to buy all the minis in the starter via buying the respective unit boxes?

2. If cost savings isn't the reason people buy multiple starters compared to multiple unit boxes, why do people lbuy multiple starters for a single-player's use?

Darryl

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:01 pm 

A starter is less costly than all the units in booster packs. Booster packs are for those that like a specific part of the starter and don't want or don't need the other parts.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:07 pm 

William Wallace wrote:
The production run would be at around 7000$ for the box and for the included pamphlets run (from what I remember), and then there's the time required to fill them up. Lower quantity won't reduce the costs much, as it's the printer setups that are the biggest part of the costs.

That's why I would rather send 'unpackaged' units :)

Will you be putting them up in the store then?
And to keep package costs down, how about something like this? That way, you can distribute it to stores.
http://witchcityink.com/wp-content/uplo ... ombie2.jpg

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:11 pm 

At this time, I'm not looking for such a solution; if we were to package the vileins, they would be done as to match the Ex illis brand.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:31 pm 

Thanks William, that makes sense. So last question on that topic--are any of the units available in boosters not also present in the starter? If so which ones?

Darryl

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:50 pm 

A bunch of them, Archangels, Serjants, Daemon Hordes, Mangonel, Baneret, William Wallace, Lucifer, Emissarius, Mendicum.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:44 pm 

Just buy one of everything just to be sure ;)

and do not forget to work off those cookies and cola!
hehe.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:34 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Subject: State of Ex Illis

UtherDracus wrote:
:shock: Thats good to know. When I have some money i will be taking you up on that. I have just bought 2 x Archangels, 2 x Serjants and a box of Mangonel.....
So it maybe after Christmas

you can never have too many peasants, I mean who else are you going to tax, and get to do all the work of building your castle.

they are my favorite unit to field simply because they're the hardest unit to use, and historically the most common unit in an Army. When I win a battle with most of my Army being peasants, I kind of feel like a legendary hero

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:35 pm 

yosefbender wrote:
Subject: State of Ex Illis

UtherDracus wrote:
So it maybe after Christmas

you can never have too many peasants, I mean who else are you going to tax, and get to do all the work of building your castle.

they are my favorite unit to field simply because they're the hardest unit to use, and historically the most common unit in an Army. When I win a battle with most of my Army being peasants, I kind of feel like a legendary hero

So that's why you have so many starter sets hehe.

OfflineProfile