It is currently Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:52 pm

Post subject: Starting out
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:42 pm 

Hi all,
I have been interested in this game for awhile, and now have some time and some money saved up:)
I think some of my questions have been answered by reading some of the older posts, but I still have a few.
Is the game still supported?
I have an iPod touch, is that enough for the software? I am definately no computer expert.
I will mostly be playing the game with my wife, I understand you can split a starter box to get playing, but do we need two seperate accounts?
I read that you can also buy "used" mins and re-registrar them, is this possible?
I think that's all for now, thanks for any help.
Jason

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Starting out
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:18 pm 

The game still exists but is not receiving any kinds of updates for the computer program.

Program runs fine on an iphone, so should work on an ipod touch too. I just don't know if it is still available in the app store. You can download it on to any computer and install it, it's easy to use.

You will need two accounts to play against each other, each of you can activate half of a starter on your accounts.

Yes you can re-register stuff, you need to contact William Wallace to get it done. It is done on an individual case by case basis.

Last edited by Toqtamish on Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:14 pm 

Last time I tried the iPod touch version it didn't work. It tried starting up, then crash back to menu for some reason. Try it, see if you'll have better luck.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:47 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

let me clarify a few things, you can play the game without two accounts, although you cannot earn any battle points which allows you to level up your troops. you used the practice mode in the program and make sure that you have two musters with no units in the same muster. The best way of course is to buy two starters, and have two accounts as splitting a starter set after a few games gets pretty predictable, but with two starters you'll be enjoying the game a lot longer. but the beauty of this game is that wifes, and friends can join in and be able to play the game within minutes, no other gaming system gives you that feature.

feel free to ask any question there are lots of friendly people here that can help you start experiencing the Exillis world.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:14 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

As yosef said, you will be quick bored with only a half starter (always same move, same strategies, same musters). Yes you can play but you would'nt touch the meaning of Ex illis.

You can begin with half starter but you should consider quickly earn another one (the starter is the best figs value deal with about 1,50$ per fig versus 3,75$ per fig for serjants). Then you'll have hours and hours to mix units, try new strategies, discover the true powers of the ones you already have and sometimes rediscover somes you don't like to play (I always hated to play soffrance at low level but discovered the awesome powers of these beasts at higher levels)

Next purchase should be a serjant box because the starter lack toughness and melee forces.

Anyways, by the time you'll need another units, you'll be a regular on this forum. ;)

Welcome aboard laddie Arrh ! :D

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:25 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I agree with ghost, there are some really cool strategies putting the hero in different units and watching how that changes the way the unit behaves madnes favorite was the lady with the crossbows, mine was soffrance with the Angel . Have fun

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:25 pm 

Thanks for all the replys.
I have a little more thinking left, the only major aspect, that really turns me off is the idea, that I can't proxy mins for the game, espically since I have closets full of fantasy minis.

If the game can basically be played with 2 starters and a couple of addons, and still give a lot of variety, I think I will be in. From what I've seen and read it doesn't look like you need a large number of minis, as compared to other games.
Thanks
Jason

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:07 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Jpeel wrote:
Thanks for all the replys.
I have a little more thinking left, the only major aspect, that really turns me off is the idea, that I can't proxy mins for the game, espically since I have closets full of fantasy minis.

If the game can basically be played with 2 starters and a couple of addons, and still give a lot of variety, I think I will be in. From what I've seen and read it doesn't look like you need a large number of minis, as compared to other games.
Thanks
Jason

I also have collections of other miniatures within the 25 mm range and I constantly use them in Exillis. For example I have a unit of 25 mm Spartans with big Greek shields, as soon as I get the money up for some new Damon hordes, one of those accounts I will use when I feild the Spartans.or I might use a high-level Spearman unit.

So I use models and accounts back and forth there are so many creative ways you can use the Exillis game. I may use a unit of FC (the heavy Calvary) account, one time fielding the Lord of the Ring dark Riders/ FC fusion models, next time fielding the angelic knights with their white steeds,and the glistening gold armor using the same account. Sadly the animation sequences are showing something else than what is on the table so I just ignore them I think the animation limits people's understanding of how creative you can use the Exillis sysytem.

Then I use items to customize and give the flavor of the unit, my dark lords riders have a 400% greater intimidation , the angelic knights, are the direct inverse they can take punishment, and have undying morale.

I try to keep the same weapons that the account has but there have been games where I've used models that had a completely different weapon and it still was exciting game as bottom line there are just number crunching anyway.

But the secret is using the items system as a way of customizing the unit to a particular function.
There are certain item features that when you use them correctly you can make that unit do something that the conventional unit could not and thus can in essence create a new type of unit.

The only limitations of Exillis is your imagination

I have also made all sorts of house rules and even have made rule sets for things that are not in the computer game, as the game doesn't have to run everything, like catapults knocking down a wall. Or ramming a gate. Currently that rule set is not in the computer rule set but that doesn't stop you from playing those elements on the board.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:21 pm 

Thanks for all the info, I think you have made me fall off the fence:)
I'll be ordering two starter sets this week.
I'm sure once I get everything and all the accounts set up, I'll have ton of questions.
The only decision I still have to make is whether to get the starters with the gaming mats, or the plastic board.

OfflineProfile